Sunday, November 05, 2006

Yes, Jenna, there really is snow in Mongolia.

This afternoon I braved the cold gray weather and drove out to the Dulaan knit-in hosted by Franklin. Several important things happened:

I got to see Schecki and catch up a little. Whee!

There was big important news to be shared with the knitfriends (missed the big important news? You'll have to email me.)

I met Franklin! And hugged him! I was, of course, so nervous about this hug that I leaned in too fast and bonked him on the head, in a weird platonic replay of the first time I kissed a boy. Smooth, 'Trope, real smooth. I'm sure he'll remember you as the woman who put a bruise on his skull. He is understated in person and quite funny, and has a camera that is not to be sneezed at, and walked around a few times with plates of cookies and brownies and made each and every one of us feel like he was genuinely glad we were there.

I won some yarn! Lovely, lovely sock yarn! El says it is shawl yarn, but I disagree. I can't wait to swatch it up. (Did I just say that? The girl who has knit maybe twenty rows in forty days? Yes, I did. Because...)

I knit a mitten.

Even better, I knit a kid's mitten that is going to go to Mongolia and get worn by a kid who will then keep her hands warm and stuff them in the pockets of her coat (please, God, let her have a coat) and wipe her nose on them and eventually lose one and go get another from the good folks at FIRE. I saw a little documentary, which is how I know this is likely. The doc described a bunch of FIRE projects but spent a couple minutes just talking about Dulaan, and showed some footage of a bunch of kids milling around in a classroom with hand-knit hats and mittens and a couple sweaters. And suddenly, I knew what I was knitting for and it seemed like a darn good reason to knit. Nothing in the last several weeks has been reason enough to knit, but this other mitten just might be it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

It was great to see you!

5:50 PM  
Blogger sweetfigs said...

I didn't realize you were at Franklin's knit in too, or I would have sought you out. Sooo many knitters there.

Thanks for the blog comment re my Libby.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Trope! Thanks for the comment on my bag -- I think they're OK together, and I love your fashion philosophy! Hope to see you soon...and that you're doin' great!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home