Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Where have I been?

I've been a bad, bad blogger. What have I been up to?

First, I've been reading. "Anansi Boys," books on Scotland, and "Persepolis"--the latter of which I canNOT recommend highly enough. It's tough to read and write at the same time. For the last couple years, however, I've been writing down the books I read and making a few notes on them. I love this little ritual, and I love that it's not online. (I've kept it offline because I don't always want to get into book-group discussions, and because if I choose to trash a book I don't want the author coming back and finding my notes at some later date.) Writing on paper in a book feels strange and lovely lately, just like it did when I first started keeping my many journals and diaries. I also got to hear "The Bonesetter's Daughter" by Amy Tan, and just loved the bits that were about the process of writing. Jane Smiley writes today about product placement in novels, and turns down the idea. I'm nervous to think about authors being bought (or rented) by companies. I wonder if we will begin reading disclaimers on the copyright page?

I've also been tuning into the breastfeeding ad debate, outlined more eloquently than I could manage by Julie at a little pregnant and L. at homesick home. This, to me, is wrapping into one large debate which includes CDC preconception guidelines, state funding for "crisis pregnancy centers", Louisiana's abortion ban, and a huge argument between two of my coworkers over whether mom or dad should administer the three a.m. feeding. We had a good discussion in my church over "choice issues" last week, but the speaker focused pretty exclusively on abortion legislation and I feel it's so much bigger than that now. It frightens me and for the first time I don't feel comfortable writing about it online. I guess I should crack open another blank book.

Or, the best remedy for my stress: knitting. Especially finishing a project.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now, with customized short row shaping, added in real time. This is the project where I got gauge the first time, had plenty of yarn, followed the instructions mostly, didn't have to rip back, and took notes to record my project. Verily I say unto thee: this is a gift from the knitting gods. I'll not get another like it this year.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was not a big fan of persepolis. it was OK but i didn't love it.

p.s. somehow i only knew about the LJ site (all LJ is blocked at work). but blogspot is not blocked! so i can read this! yea!

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there! glad to hear that the offline world is treating you well. :) green gables is lovely!

i would be interested in hearing more about the choice discussion, but i completely understand not wanting to write about it online. perhaps we could talk about it next time we get together?

6:43 AM  
Blogger Trope said...

Carolyn, yay! Good to have you here!
I loved Persepolis better than its sequel (so far) and better than "Embroideries", which doesn't have seem to have as many years of thought behind it. Mostly, I think she can really nail the child's voice and point of view, and it's believable even though she's an odd little child.

Mimazu, thanks! I just picked up the Mason-Dixon book, and now I've got my head spun by some other projects as well. And we are behind on several discussions, so we very much need to get together!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Elizabeth! Thanks for the link to Julie's discussion of the breastfeeding ad. And your top looks awesome on! Your book-reading/recording habits are really making me think about my own reading, too.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Green gable looks great! I really like the way it turned out.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Trope said...

Mary and Shannon--thanks, both! Mary, I'm a little heartbroken that I failed to archive the "Breastfeed or Else" article that the NYTimes ran last week. I'll have to do without the primary source, I guess, and rely on other people's quotes, but I hate that. Perhaps a more forgiving news source still has something up.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can e-mail you a copy of the piece later today, I think.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home